Thursday, May 14, 2009

Long-Distance Grandma

My mom called yesterday lamenting about how her grandkids are sooooo far away and how it's not fair because so and so's grandson lives around the corner from her and such and such's granddaughter lives right down the street from her. It's true, it bites that we live so far away from the grandparents. No one regrets that more than me as I listen to my friends exclaim what a relaxing weekend they had after dropping the kids off to Grandma's house for the weekend. Oh how I would love that. We gets no break in my house. Especially since Hubby won't entertain the idea of hiring a babysitter (trust issues). So alas, we are relegated to Grandma's quarterly visits (which she is great about doing) and the once-in-a-blue-moon family trip we can make to Florida (the price of 4 plane tickets is no joke!) I tell ya, if I had to do it all over again, I would make sure that we at least lived within a couple of hours of family. Oh and that we bought a house with a garage. Having somewhere to put the Disney Princess scooters when they are not in use is almost as important. Trust me on that.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky you feel that way. I am so glad my parents live in Florida. My mother never fully accepted the fact that I married outside of my race and does not show unconditional love to my family. I get sad when I hear my local friends talk about their parents but things are best this way for me. Sorry to vent :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. We're in MS and my parents are in CA -- no break over here either!

    Our anniversary is next Friday and I'm trying to find a "romantic family friendly restaurant" so we can reminisce over the last 10 years while she eats chicken nuggets. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin